Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Made It

I am SO excited about this school year, and I actually can't wait for it to start.  Teachers don't go back until August 20th, but I've been using this "down time" to start getting ready.  Today I'm linking up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics  for her Monday Made It linky.


While there is a lot I should be doing around the house, all of my "made its" have been classroom related. 
I don't know about you, but as excited as I am about the start of a new school year, I am still incredibly nervous.  I also know that it is nerve-racking for students as well.  To try to help ease nerves, I always mail a little "Meet Your Teacher" book to the students before school starts.  In this book, I give students a small sneak peek into what we will do this year, information about my family, my fur baby, my hobbies, and my favorites when I was in 2nd grade.  



In addition to the book I throw in a couple of "Sensational 2nd Grader" pencils.  What kid doesn't like to get mail?!  In the large envelope, I include a smaller envelope that is labeled "For Your Parents".  In this envelope is a short letter introducing myself to the parents and a questionnaire (which I've tried to upload here if you're interested) that will help me get to know their child.  This year, I have made a Google Form with the same info as the questionnaire.  I'm debating sending parents the link and allowing them to submit the information electronically (I know I prefer typing information instead of writing it).  I've never done that before, and I'm concerned about the security of the information.  I'll have to look into that more.  Have you used Google Forms?  Is there anything I need to do to make it secure?

As I've mentioned before, I'm switching schools next year.  At my new school they select a theme for the year.  This year's theme has to do with building.  Suggestions for class decor include construction and Lego things.  This is NOT easy for this pink and chevron loving girl.  It's hard to make bulldozers and hammers "cutesy".  I made a "Where are We" sign to hang on the door.  
There isn't any pink, chevron, or polka dots, but I think it gets the job done :-)

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my final "made it".  I mentioned in another post that I'm not positive I'm going to keep the clip chart, and may go to strictly using Class Dojo.  I did make a new clip chart just in case I decide to go that route.  
I have a BUNCH more projects that I'm working on to get ready for the new year, but these are the projects I've completed.  What have YOU made this week?

9 comments:

  1. To make the Legos more girly, look into the Friends Legos. They are geared towards girls and I bet if you can do it the girls would love it! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "Meet Your Teacher" idea! I had to pin it :) I love reading from teachers that are excited to start school.

    And let me tell you, your blog is sooo cute!

    Stacy (new follower)
    Second Grade Sweetie Pies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! Thanks for you kind words, and pin! I'm also following your sweet blog :-)

      Delete
  3. Your "Meet the Teacher" pack looks awesome! Oh, and your blog is precious. Are you already in the VA is for {Teacher} Bloggers facebook page?

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is adorable! Love everything you have made! It would be hard for me to make things not pink too! :)

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had my class list to send out that meet the teacher packet! We barely get ours before open house and even then it's all hush hush... That's a great ice breaker!! Your where are we chart is cute! I'd have a hard time not having any pink or chevrons, too!!

    Haley
    Owls and Lessons, Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Google Docs...the answers all go into a spreadsheet that you can control access to. Of course, if you have Google Apps for Education, you Google Admin would have access by default, but that person has access to a lot of information if they really wanted it. I love Google Forms; go for it.
    I love the lego theme...good for STEM!
    Sarah
    Kovescence of the Mind

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Meet Your Teacher bundle you have!! It's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete